Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs for Northampton

I mentioned The New Beehive for a pre-match drink for Bradford, a few of the Charlton Life community were in there and the thoughts of certain members was none too complimentary.

As a result Mrs Rose and Crown shall hopefully set the ball rolling for suggestions for Northampton!

Comments

  • Northampton away ... in March .... ?
  • Quite a long time to be on the piss Elfs
  • It's in March FFS.
  • Quite a long time to be on the piss Elfs

    Not when somebody else is paying it's not :wink:
  • I mentioned The New Beehive for a pre-match drink for Bradford, a few of the Charlton Life community were in there and the thoughts of certain members was none too complimentary.

    As a result Mrs Rose and Crown shall hopefully set the ball rolling for suggestions for Northampton!

    Can you keep the names of pubs to yourself please
  • Forward planning helps.
  • Just not you and pubs
  • What time does it open?
  • The one in Bradford did say on the door 2pm so when we got there at 12 elf did get some grief
  • clb74 said:

    The one in Bradford did say on the door 2pm so when we got there at 12 elf did get some grief

    Justified tbf mate.
  • Sponsored links:


  • There are no good pubs within a mile of the ground, unfortunately as it is in the middle of a big out of town conglomeration of Pizza Huts, Cineworlds, Sainsbury's megamarkets etc. There isa serviceable big pub, The Walter Tull, and you can get a pint of Stella among other fans, but you wouldn't call it a good pub.

    The Wig and Pen, on St Giles Street in the town centre does good food and specialises in real ale and cider and is a nice old low ceilinged place with a big covered area out back for smokers with 3 large screen TV's, but you are looking at a 15 minute bus ride to the ground - you'll need to give yourself at least 30-40 minutes to your seat.

    NOTE: The bars in the ground stop serving 15 minutes before kick off.
  • There are no good pubs within a mile of the ground, unfortunately as it is in the middle of a big out of town conglomeration of Pizza Huts, Cineworlds, Sainsbury's megamarkets etc. There isa serviceable big pub, The Walter Tull, and you can get a pint of Stella among other fans, but you wouldn't call it a good pub.

    The Wig and Pen, on St Giles Street in the town centre does good food and specialises in real ale and cider and is a nice old low ceilinged place with a big covered area out back for smokers with 3 large screen TV's, but you are looking at a 15 minute bus ride to the ground - you'll need to give yourself at least 30-40 minutes to your seat.

    NOTE: The bars in the ground stop serving 15 minutes before kick off.

    Wheresmeticket, can you tell us which bus to get from the station to the ground? Thanks
  • There are no good pubs within a mile of the ground, unfortunately as it is in the middle of a big out of town conglomeration of Pizza Huts, Cineworlds, Sainsbury's megamarkets etc. There isa serviceable big pub, The Walter Tull, and you can get a pint of Stella among other fans, but you wouldn't call it a good pub.

    The Wig and Pen, on St Giles Street in the town centre does good food and specialises in real ale and cider and is a nice old low ceilinged place with a big covered area out back for smokers with 3 large screen TV's, but you are looking at a 15 minute bus ride to the ground - you'll need to give yourself at least 30-40 minutes to your seat.

    NOTE: The bars in the ground stop serving 15 minutes before kick off.

    Wheresmeticket, can you tell us which bus to get from the station to the ground? Thanks
    I think there are a few from outside the station in that direction.

    https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com/ZoneMaps/Midlands/Northampton Mega April 2016 updated 1.pdf
  • At Sixfields Stadium itself is Carrs Bar (the entrance to which is at the back of the Main Stand) which allows in away supporters. It also shows televised football. However with the recent burning down of the nearest pub the Sixfields Tavern, then this may revert back to being a home fans only venue. As Sixfields Stadium is built on a leisure complex on the outskirts of Northampton, then visiting fans on arrival are pretty much confined to the complex. Just going past McDonalds towards the top end there is a Flaming Grill pub, which offers real ale, serves food and shows televised sport. Behind the Flaming Grill is a Tenpin Bowling Alley which also has a bar and also shows televised sports. Nearer to the stadium there is a Frankie & Benny's restaurant, which also serves alcohol. There are also a variety of other eating places nearby including a KFC, McDonalds and a Pizza Hut.

    Carl Brown adds; 'I found myself drinking in a T.G.I. Friday's outlet opposite the Main Stand. Maybe not your stereotypical pre-match watering hole but very convenient for a drink, plus there were a wonderful array of fine waitresses on display, serving the goods!'

    Kevin Roberts informs me; 'For those supporters travelling from the North and leaving the M1 at Junction 16 and taking the A4500 towards Northampton, then you will pass on your left the recently refurbished Turnpike pub, which as far as I am aware is still welcoming away supporters'.

    Kevin continues; 'In Northampton town centre, there are several notable real ale pubs in addition to the usual Wetherspoons etc. A particular favourite for those looking for a decent pint is the Malt Shovel Tavern, which is possibly the best real ale pub in Northampton, having 14 hand pumps and is also listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. To find this pub from the railway station, cross the road in front of the station and head towards the Carlsberg brewery (easily visible). You will find the pub located opposite the brewery. It is about a ten minute walk. It will probably take you a further 30 minutes to walk to the ground from here heading back in the same direction past the station (see 'By Train' below for walking directions)'. You can find out more about the pub on the Malt Shovel Tavern website.


    Taken from the football ground guide
  • edited March 2017

    There are no good pubs within a mile of the ground, unfortunately as it is in the middle of a big out of town conglomeration of Pizza Huts, Cineworlds, Sainsbury's megamarkets etc. There isa serviceable big pub, The Walter Tull, and you can get a pint of Stella among other fans, but you wouldn't call it a good pub.

    The Wig and Pen, on St Giles Street in the town centre does good food and specialises in real ale and cider and is a nice old low ceilinged place with a big covered area out back for smokers with 3 large screen TV's, but you are looking at a 15 minute bus ride to the ground - you'll need to give yourself at least 30-40 minutes to your seat.

    NOTE: The bars in the ground stop serving 15 minutes before kick off.

    Wheresmeticket, can you tell us which bus to get from the station to the ground? Thanks
    Pretty much anything from the bus stop on THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD FROM THE STATION. Just ask for Sixfields.
    Essex_Al said:

    At Sixfields Stadium itself is Carrs Bar (the entrance to which is at the back of the Main Stand) which allows in away supporters. It also shows televised football. However with the recent burning down of the nearest pub the Sixfields Tavern, then this may revert back to being a home fans only venue. As Sixfields Stadium is built on a leisure complex on the outskirts of Northampton, then visiting fans on arrival are pretty much confined to the complex. Just going past McDonalds towards the top end there is a Flaming Grill pub, which offers real ale, serves food and shows televised sport. Behind the Flaming Grill is a Tenpin Bowling Alley which also has a bar and also shows televised sports. Nearer to the stadium there is a Frankie & Benny's restaurant, which also serves alcohol. There are also a variety of other eating places nearby including a KFC, McDonalds and a Pizza Hut.

    Carl Brown adds; 'I found myself drinking in a T.G.I. Friday's outlet opposite the Main Stand. Maybe not your stereotypical pre-match watering hole but very convenient for a drink, plus there were a wonderful array of fine waitresses on display, serving the goods!'

    Kevin Roberts informs me; 'For those supporters travelling from the North and leaving the M1 at Junction 16 and taking the A4500 towards Northampton, then you will pass on your left the recently refurbished Turnpike pub, which as far as I am aware is still welcoming away supporters'.

    Kevin continues; 'In Northampton town centre, there are several notable real ale pubs in addition to the usual Wetherspoons etc. A particular favourite for those looking for a decent pint is the Malt Shovel Tavern, which is possibly the best real ale pub in Northampton, having 14 hand pumps and is also listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. To find this pub from the railway station, cross the road in front of the station and head towards the Carlsberg brewery (easily visible). You will find the pub located opposite the brewery. It is about a ten minute walk. It will probably take you a further 30 minutes to walk to the ground from here heading back in the same direction past the station (see 'By Train' below for walking directions)'. You can find out more about the pub on the Malt Shovel Tavern website.


    Taken from the football ground guide

    Don't know why this doesn't mention the Walter Tull which is the only pub within a mile. When you get off the bus opposite the ground (and above - the stadium is set down a steep grass bank) turn left, away from the ground and it is set in a carpark along the road. As I say it isn't amazing but is about 5 minutes from the ground.
  • Sadly I will miss this as happily I have moved back to Cornwall - it was a big sacrifice but worth it hahahahaha.
  • The Walter Tull and Flaming Grill are home only as far as I know being a local. In town, as someone above said, the Wig and Pen is decent, particularly if you're after real ale and the food is decent - and is just round the corner from the taxi rank and bus station. Nearer the train station, and in the direction of the ground if you were to walk - station to ground is a good half hour walk - are a few pubs; Thomas A Becket & Foundry Tavern, the nearest pub to the ground is Sevens - nearer the rugby ground than the football ground, and only about 20mins walk; http://www.thesevensnorthampton.co.uk/index - they will be showing the early football here.

    If you're particularly early and after some good beer pubs, The Maltshovel, King Billy and Albion Brewery (brewery tap) are on the edge of the town centre.
  • There is a pub called Sevens which is on the Weedon Road opposite the Northampton Saints rugby ground. Is about 20 minutes walk from Sixfields.
  • Sir_Clive said:

    The Walter Tull and Flaming Grill are home only as far as I know being a local. In town, as someone above said, the Wig and Pen is decent, particularly if you're after real ale and the food is decent - and is just round the corner from the taxi rank and bus station. Nearer the train station, and in the direction of the ground if you were to walk - station to ground is a good half hour walk - are a few pubs; Thomas A Becket & Foundry Tavern, the nearest pub to the ground is Sevens - nearer the rugby ground than the football ground, and only about 20mins walk; http://www.thesevensnorthampton.co.uk/index - they will be showing the early football here.

    If you're particularly early and after some good beer pubs, The Maltshovel, King Billy and Albion Brewery (brewery tap) are on the edge of the town centre.

    Nah, I've seen plenty of away fans in the Tull. Might have changed policy...
  • Sponsored links:


  • Not sure about before, but will be in the sevens after for a few with some family who live in the area.
  • Bad news I'm afraid

    The Northampton Museum, with its large collection of shoes is closed for refurbishment
  • Bad news I'm afraid

    The Northampton Museum, with its large collection of shoes is closed for refurbishment

    Cobblers
  • Sadly I will miss this as happily I have moved back to Cornwall - it was a big sacrifice but worth it hahahahaha.

    you lucky boy
Sign In or Register to comment.